Saturday, April 21, 2012

When do you use the pen to wield the sword?

One thing that's hit me is that in the first draft of Cat O' Nine 3 is that the villains are, well.... not all that bad. Renee commented that they were "pretty wussy" compared to some paranormal fiction she was reading. After doing same comparison the same myself, I'm forced to agree. But at the same time, I'm leery about going overboard with their cruelty just to make them "bad ass." In other words, its easy to write in violent scenes, but it gets a little harder when one tries to make sure the scenes do something aside from to show the reader how mean the character is. Character or plot development are the primary justifications, but even with this goal in mind, the line for "senseless violence" isn't a definite one. I still don't have the answer here. Perhaps it's different for each writer. But it's something worth giving a lot of thought to.

No comments:

Post a Comment